RCCG Sunday School Manual Lesson 11, Christian Discipleship -14th October 2018
RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT’S MANUAL
SUNDAY 14TH OCTOBER 2018
TOPIC: CHRISTIAN DISCIPLESHIP
MEMORY VERSE: “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” – 1Corinthians 11:1
BIBLE PASSAGE: Luke 5:1-11
A true Christian (not one by name only) is expected to be a disciple of Christ. However, not all Christians are willing or ready to make the commitments of a disciple (John 6:66; Matthew 19:21-22). We, therefore, need to examine who a Christian disciple should be and how to become one.
1. Who is a disciple?
2. How to become a Christian disciple
WHO IS A DISCIPLE
The Greek term for ‘’disciple’’ in the New Testament is mathetes, which means more than just ‘’student’’ or ‘’learner’’. A disciple is a ‘’close follower’’, someone who adheres completely to the teachings of another, making them his rule of life and conduct. One who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrines of another. Christian discipleship begins with the new birth and it requires one to exercise his will to follow Jesus (Matthew 9:9; Luke 5:10-11). Christian discipleship is the process by which disciples grow in Christ and are equipped by the Holy Spirit, who resides in our hearts, to overcome the pressures and trials of this present life and become more and more like Christ (Mark 8:34; Philippians 3:10-12).
HOW TO BECOME A CHRISTIAN DISCIPLE
According to Scriptures, being a Christian disciple involves personal growth characterised by the following:
1. Personal decision to follow Christ (Luke 9:23; 14:26-27).
2. Putting Jesus first in all things (Mark 8:34-38). The disciple of Christ needs to be set apart from the world. We must put off self-centeredness and put on Christ-centeredness.
3. Following the teachings of Jesus (John 8:31-32). We must be obedient children and doers of the word (John 14:15; 15:14).
4. Total commitment and sacrificial living (Luke 14:33; Philippians 3:6-8; Matthew 16:24).
5. Abiding in Christ in order to produce the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) which makes one Christ-like.
6. We are to share our faith and tell non-believers about the wonderful changes Jesus Christ has made in our lives (Matthew 28:18-20). Irrespective of our level of maturity in the Christian faith, we have something to offer.
Do not follow Jesus from afar, strive to be a close follower.
1. Who is a Christian disciple?
2. How can you become one?