RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL MANUAL
SUNDAY, 17TH SEPTEMBER 2017
TOPIC: THE SECRET PLACE
MEMORY VERSE: ‘’He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.” – Psalm 91:1
BIBLE PASSAGE: Psalm 91:1-16
The term “secret place” comes from the Hebrew word “cether” which means “to hide or be concealed”. Other words for secret place include shelter, covering, or a dwelling place. One who abides in the secret place of God dwells in an ascended place of rest, lifted up above principalities and powers. It is a place of protection from trouble; where God surrounds you with deliverance (Psalm 32:7). It is a place of His holy concealment in all things, where God reveals heavenly secrets to you.
- How to enter the secret place
- Benefits of being in God’s secret place
HOW TO ENTER THE SECRET PLACE
We can gain access into God’s secret place through a life of holiness (Psalm 15:1-5), praise, thanksgiving and prayer of faith (Psalm 100:3-4; Jeremiah 33:3). We must walk away from the clamour and enticements of the world (1John 2:15). Our hearts must be quiet before Him as we allow Him investigate those inner thoughts we reveal to no one else (Isaiah 30:15; Psalm 139:2). To connect with God, we must avoid distractions (Matthew 6:6; Mark 1:35). We cannot join God in His secret place unless we are willing to be transparent and honest with Him (Psalm 69:5; 139:7). We must not dwell with the ungodly (Psalm 1:1; 2Corinthians 6:17). A consecrated and sanctified life is a prerequisite to gaining access into God’s secret place (Leviticus 20:7; Psalm 24:3-4).
BENEFITS OF BEING IN GOD’S SECRET PLACE
The benefits of dwelling in God’s secret place include:
- Closer fellowship with God (James 4:8).
- Living a holy life becomes possible (Isaiah 6:1-5).
- Self-assessment of our faith will be enhanced (2Corinthians 13:5).
- Fruit of the spirit takes root and grows (Galatians 5:22).
- Our gaze is focused on Christ and things of eternal value (Matthew 6:19-21; Hebrews 12:2).
- Divine protection and deliverance (Proverbs 18:10; Psalm 91:13-14).
- Divine authority and attention (1Kings 17:1).
God wants us to dwell in His secret place; not to visit. In God’s secret place, no evil can come near us.
- How can a believer enter into God’s secret place?
- What are the benefits of dwelling in the secret place?