RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL MANUAL LESSON 46
SUNDAY, 16TH JULY 2017
TOPIC: RAPTURE DESCRIBED
MEMORY VERSE: ‘’Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.” – 1Corinthians 15:51
BIBLE PASSAGE: 1Thessalonians 4:13-18
The second coming of Christ prophesied by Daniel in Daniel 7:13 is a sound biblical fact. This return shall be in two stages. The first is to receive unto Himself His Church. This is popularly called the rapture (1Thessalonians4:15-17). The second stage is Christ’s coming with His saints to set up the millennium reign (1Thessalonians 3:13). May the Holy Spirit Himself guide us into all truth in Jesus’ name.
1. What is the rapture and when?
2. What will happen at the rapture and how?
WHAT IS THE RAPTURE AND WHEN?
The word, rapture, is not found anywhere in the Bible although it is used to describe this great upcoming and memorable event. The rapture is the sudden catching up or sudden disappearance of holy and faithful saints from the earth to meet with our Lord and Saviour in the air. It is also referred to as the translation or translocation of believers (1Thessalonians 4:16-17; 1Corinthians 15:51-58). Examples of such translation in the Old Testament are: Enoch (Genesis 5:22-24; Hebrews 11:5) and Elijah (2Kings 2:11). It shall be as sudden as the twinkling of an eye (1Corinthians 15:52).
The exact timing of the occurrence of the rapture is not known (Matthew 24:42, 44). It is a secret that only God knows (Matthew 24:36). We, however, know that it shall precede the tribulation (1Thessalonians 1:10; 5:9).
WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT THE RAPTURE AND HOW?
The following are to be expected at the rapture:
1. The trumpet of God shall sound (1Corinthians 15:52; 1Thessalonians 4:16).
2. The dead in Christ shall rise first (John 5:25; 1Thessalonians 4:16).
3. Saints which are alive shall be “caught up” to meet our Lord in the air (1Thessalonians 4:17).
4. The dead in Christ and saints who are left shall have glorified or immortal bodies and live forever (1Corinthians 15:51-54; Philippians 3:20-21).
5. There shall be extraordinary chaos on the earth (1Thessalonians 5:2-3; Matthew 24:40-41). The sudden “vacanies” produced by such disappearance shall give birth to the chaos.
1. It shall happen suddenly (1Corinthians 15:52; 1Thessalonians 5:3), ‘like the coming of the theif in the night’ (1Thessalonians 5:2; Matthews 24:43-44).
2. The power of God shall make all saints’ bodied immortal (Philippians 3:21).
The greatest calamity that could befall anyone who claims to be a believer is to be on earth a second after the rapture. The one who is coming back for His own “suddenly”, warned us to be prepared, at least six times in different parables. Are you ready? (Mark 13:32-37; 1Thessalonians 5:6).
1. What is the rapture?
2. Mention five things that will happen at the rapture.